Saturday, April 4, 2009

New Conference Tradition

My kids actually listened to both sessions of conference today! I can't remember where I first learned about this game, maybe sugardoodle, the Friend, or a friend's blog, but it was miraculous for Oliver and Penelepe.
We had a list of words that we would hear during the talks - like love, spirit, missionary, temple, faith, prayer, etc. Five words at a time for the five treats and they would change for each speaker. The kids listened really hard to get their treats. I was afraid it might be way too much candy and sugar, but for the first session they had only about 10 m&ms. (I cheated a couple of times, like the talk on the temple, I made sure for the word temple, which was said about 77 times, we got cheerios). It was not the most spiritual conference ever for us, but at least the children participated and we ALL enjoyed it, and gained both spiritually and physically.

4 comments:

Maggie said...

That is SUCH a cute idea! I love it! Maybe I could use it with Jay & Lizzie?!? So glad you guys had a good time! Also, SOOOO grateful for blogging! I love keeping up with my friends and family this way!

Rachel said...

that is a great idea! i think i'll give it a try in october. my kids were both present for this morning's session, but i could never make anyone believe they paid attention. better luck next conference.

Falon Felsted said...

Count me in for conference at your house in October!!

Collings Family said...

Don't you love Sugardoodle? I was going to use that one too this year, i was so prepared for conference but then threw my back out and it all went to h---. We still haven't watched all of it yet!